It is amazing how much I used to take for granted before having children, like being able to just run a quick errand somewhere. To be able to get out of my car and run into the post office or the grocery store, and just get what I need and walk out in a matter of minutes. I didn't realize what a gift that was at the time. Those days are history. I find myself DREADING going to the store these days, especially when I just need a couple of things. Yesterday, we just needed milk for Gracie and the all important Diet Coke for me. (This just goes to show exactly how much I am willing to endure for my favorite beverage.) Let's just say NOTHING about yesterday's trip to the store was simple or quick but I did still leave there with my Diet Coke...that helped a little.
So here's how it all went down...It was time for Gracie's nap (Warning #1) and I realized we were out of milk. She is a girl all about the routine and so I knew that not having that milk was going to make getting her down for nap a bit difficult. It had been one of those long mornings where I found myself counting down the hours and then the minutes until it was time for her nap. So with that goal in mind, I announced to Jake that we were going to run out to the store really quick and we needed to get him dressed. (Yes, he was still in his Spiderman pajamas at 1:00 in the afternoon...) Anyway, I had already gotten myself and Gracie ready to go and now it was Jake's turn and we would be out the door. Sounded easy enough. We were in mine and Aaron's bedroom and I was putting Jake's clothes on while he watched Little Einsteins. Gracie was right next to me playing with a toy that was on the floor, or so I thought. After I got Jake ready, it was time to go brush his teeth. We walked to the hall bathroom and I noticed the door, which I usually keep closed to divert Gracie's attention from all the cool things in there, was now open. I walked a little quicker and could hear this swishing sound. I was horrified to find that Gracie had reached up to the sink, pulled down Lauren's toothbrush and was now stirring the toilet water with it. Wait...it gets worse. We are having to constantly remind Jake to put the toilet seat down and flush the potty when he is done. Once again, I found that he had forgotten to do so and so there was Gracie just stirring up Jake's pee as it splashed around on her and the hardwood floor. I should have ended it there, (Warning #2) but no, I stripped off her clothes, doused her in antibacterial soap, rinsed her off and then found new clothes. I was back on track!
We arrived at the grocery store and found one of those great carts with the little cars attached. Jake hopped right in and I tried to put Gracie in the front seat that faces me. I found myself at war with those little straps that buckle. One was stuck through one of the wire slats and Gracie was now showing her dislike of the situation. I chose instead to put her down in the car with Jake. She loved it! I thought it was smooth sailing. This is where I made my big mistake. I started going down aisles, picking up items that I had not gone there for but did need. Gracie and Jake were playing happily, so I kept going, giving thanks for my good fortune. As I'm rolling down the aisle, I looked down to see Gracie now hanging half of her body out of the cart. She is like Houdini when it comes to being strapped in somewhere. I quickly unbuckled her and she began crying. I was beginning to get a few glances in my direction, mostly from sympathetic moms who knew exactly what it felt like to be in that situation. I tried to just carry her and push the cart with one hand but she began throwing herself backwards and I realized we were entering full-out tantrum mode. It is amazing to me that I have three children and I have managed to avoid a public tantrum until this point. I decided that she was GOING in that seat if she wasn't going to let me hold her. She is amazingly strong but I won. (Greatest advice ever given to me..."When you find yourself in battle with your child, just make sure you don't lose.") At this point she is wailing and red-faced, throwing herself around in all directions. I tried to calm her down and walked very quickly to the front of the store. When I got up there, I realized I had forgotten to get the two things I had come there to get! So I rushed my screaming child back through the aisles and was in awe of how her voice carried through the whole store. I saw one man watching me intently and I thought if I don't get out of here soon, he is going to call child protective services! I'm back at the front and ready to check out. The sweet girl at the counter was asking me something but I couldn't hear her at all. I just nodded and smiled. Clueless. Then I saw it...one of the items I had not set out to get was going to save the day. A package of individually wrapped goldfish was making its way down the moving belt. I said, "Excuse me," and ripped open the wrapping and pulled out one of the packets of goldfish. I opened it and handed it to Gracie and it was magical. She stopped screaming and began smiling and eating her goldfish happily. I don't even remember what my total amount was, I just scanned my debit card and left, utterly exhausted.
Being a parent truly is an incredible blessing but there are those days when you kind of wish you could just board a plane to an exotic island for a week. This was definitely one of those days. I think I'll send Aaron to the grocery store next time we need something.
4 comments:
Oh, Jennifer, and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!
And to quote you yesterday, "Good times, good times!" I have laughed so much after our conversation!
Oh the peace in knowing I'm not the only mom who's had one of those grocery trips...just sorry it had to be you sweet Jennifer! Love that you shared!!
OH, I have been there and done that! I have gotten to where I just let them cry and I carry on about my business. I've gotten good at ingoring the screams and the looks I get from letting my kids act that way. Sometimes, you just can't win!
Post a Comment