
Lauren began her Fall Break last Thursday and so we enjoyed a long weekend visiting with family and friends in Atlanta. It was a busy but wonderful trip. I hosted a baby shower luncheon for one
of my best friends, Kim Nash, at The Swan Coach House Saturday afternoon. It was so much fun spending time with old friends and celebrating with Kim. She has been a faithful friend to me through the years. I met her 12 years ago at the start of my freshman year at Mercer. We were sorority sisters, roommates, and bridesmaids in eachother's wedding. It is rare and so special to have a friend who knows everything about you, all your silly quirks and habits and still loves you. I have no doubt we will be lifelong friends. I knew I wanted to give Kim a baby shower and yet, even after planning the date, I didn't realize how perfectly timed this trip would be. I discovered a few weeks ago that it would also be Lauren's Fall break. So Aaron and I decided that I would bring the kids over on Thursday to enjoy a nice long weekend at my family's home, rather than the usual quick trip. Lauren and Jake adore their cousins and so this idea was a big hit among us all. We missed Aaron until he was able to join us late Friday night. It finally felt complete when he arrived.
My sister Karen, often referred to as the "cruise director" in our family, always finds fun things for us to do with the kids during our visits. This time we planned to spend Saturday afternoon at Stone Mountain's Pumpkin Fest. I joined the crew after Kim's shower ended. The kids wore costumes and there were a lot of Fall activities for them to enjoy. Lauren and Gracie were UGA cheerleaders, a bit taboo for their Daddy, a Georgia Tech fan, but they were on loan from Kathy, so it doesn't really count, right? Jake was a superhero, but he ditched his costume as
soon as he found the climbing ropes course. I guess it was going to slow him down. His favorite was the zip line. If it hadn't been so crowded, I'm sure he would have wanted to stay there all afternoon! We ended the day with a great dinner out at a Mexican restaurant, my favorite! My Aunt Jeannie, my mom's sister, was visiting and so it was really great to enjoy this time with her also.It was a busy weekend, but well worth it. It is amazing to me how comforted I can still be by being at home. Though my parents are amazing supporters of me and Aaron, it is not the only reason I long for home at times. There is just something about going back to where I grew up. I love showing my children the places and things that I once loved. I love seeing the pictures throughout my parent's home. I love driving through downtown Duluth and passing by my old high school. I enjoy the memories that rise up when I am surrounded by it all. To be clear, I don't in any way long to relive those days but I enjoy remembering them. I enjoy sharing them with Aaron, just as I love hearing his memories. I love visiting his home in Blairsville, seeing old videos and pictures, and having that window into who he was before we met. We have all heard the age-old question, "Can you ever really go home again?" I believe the question is asking whether or not you can go back home and have that home still provide you with the same nurturing you received as a child. And can you revisit the past without being forced to relive it in some way? For me, and I know that this is not the case for everyone, I can go home again and be energized by the warmth and love it provides. I leave feeling encouraged and eager to return to what has become the greatest home of all, the one that Aaron and I have created together. I am excited to be where I am today. I feel blessed and thankful to have the opportunity to create new memories, ones that my children can carry with them into adulthood. I hope that one day they will also be able to say, "There's no place like home."
Here are some more pictures from Saturday at Stone Mountain...

I love my little man!

My Boys!
Hannah, Gracie, Lauren, Ryan, Jake, Ben and Meaghan
My baby girl is growing up!
Gracie stops for a snack!
Aaron distracts the kids from being sad with an
impromptu game of Simon Says as we all leave
the park. Uncle Aaron is the coolest! Always
coming up with fun new ways to entertain the
kids. Just one of the many reasons why I love
my husband!



No comments:
Post a Comment