Friday, July 25, 2008

Update on Jennifer

It has been a very busy week around here. We are preparing for Jake's 4th birthday party on Friday. Time to celebrate with all of his friends! Thankfully my sister, Karen, came in town yesterday to help me pull everything together. She brought her two boys, Ryan and Ben. Even with the crazy, daycare like atmosphere around here, we are still having a great time. My other sister, Kathy, will be in town with her two girls tomorrow evening. The chaos will grow! Hard to believe that is even possible but I'm sure we will continue to have a great time together.

This family support has also been wonderful to have this week for other reasons. On Wednesday I went to my follow-up with my Rheumatologist to go over all of my lab results. We didn't receive the news we were hoping for but know that God is in control. I've been diagnosed with Lupus. We will be doing more tests to determine if my heart or lungs have been affected at this point. It is our prayer, of course, that I only have joint damage and nothing else. I will go back to the doctor in 5 weeks. I am beginning three different medications and we hope to see improvement in my knee and other symptoms.

This diagnosis seemed to be much harder for my loved ones to hear than it was for me. I feel that God had prepared my heart and has provided me with a great, abiding peace. This may sound strange but I actually felt relief when I heard the word Lupus. It wasn't that I wanted to hear it, by any means. I just felt peace in my heart. I have been struggling with not feeling well for several months now. It has been very hard to feel so incredibly tired and to feel like my body just wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. I felt frustrated by it and felt like I was failing my husband and my children. I would have many days where I would have dizziness, nausea, headaches and extreme fatigue. Aaron would come in and I could always tell by the concerned look on his face that my outside was matching how I felt on the inside. I would be really pale and look completely washed out with really dark circles under my eyes, even after 8-10 hours of sleep the night before. This past winter I kept thinking I was always getting the flu but it never turned into anything. After a while I began to question my own sanity! I have been blessed with an amazing husband though. He provided me with so much strength. He would just wrap his arms around me and always showed me incredible love. I know he was frustrated that he couldn't fix the problem but he never failed to be there to help make it easier. I am just so thankful now that we know what we are dealing with and we can find medication that will help make it better. I feel great relief for myself and also my family. I know that God's amazing grace and the hope that He has given me will lead me all the way. Thank you so much for your prayers. I continue to appreciate all of your love and support. It means the world to me and Aaron. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. I will keep you updated!

Here is a brief description of Lupus for those who may not be familiar with the disease...

Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can affect various parts of the body, including the skin, joints, heart, lungs, blood, kidneys and brain. Normally the body's immune system makes proteins called antibodies, to protect the body against viruses, bacteria, and other foreign materials. These foreign materials are called antigens.

In an autoimmune disorder like lupus, the immune system cannot tell the difference between foreign substances and its own cells and tissues. The immune system then makes antibodies directed against itself. These antibodies -- called "auto-antibodies" (auto means 'self') -- cause inflammation, pain and damage in various parts of the body.

3 comments:

Holly Galla said...

Hey Jennifer,

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers as you adjust to this news. Your faith and positive outlook are certainly an inspiration for all of us. Please take care of your dear self!

Love, Holly

Mark said...

Jennifer and Aaron,

Please know of my prayers. I'm here. Just call or email.
Mark Marshall

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with blogs. Bro. Carl Marshall gave me the link, Want you to know we at Notchaway Baptist are praying for Jennifer.